22 Reasons to Visit Newfoundland
- Breathe the freshest air in the world.
- Stand on the Most Easterly Point of land in North America.
- See the only authenticated Viking landfall in North America.
- Sail around an icebergs while sipping Iceberg Vodka.
- Find a Newfoundland pony – North America’s only descendant of Westmoreland horse.
- View runes said to be left by St. Brendan 200 years before the Vikings.
- Have your picture taken with a NEWFOUNDLAND DOG.
- Try salmon, trout, or char fishing. If it’s good enough for George Bush and Lee Wulfe, it’s good enough for anyone.
- View caribou, puffins, gannets, and the world’s largest gathering of whales.
- Catch some of our exciting nightlife. The bands and pubs of George Street in St. John’s draw partyers from New Orleans!
- Get screeched in (ask a local what this means)!
- Check out the Labrador 400 dog-sled race.
- Check out unique local crafts at some of our great local gift stores.
- Visit the Exploits Salmon Festival in Grand Falls or watch leaping salmon at Big Falls, Rocky River, or one of a dozen other great salmon rivers.
- Visit some of the world’s most prominent geological spectacles at Gros Morne National Park.
- Pick Bake-Apples, Partridgeberries, and Blueberries – check them out in local jams, wines, and desserts.
- Watch a moose – but don’t hit one on our roads!
- Check out Dorset and Maritime Archaic sites.
- Travel to Mistaken Point with its accessible fossil beds.
- Check out the local music scene George Street – the most dynamic in Canada.
- Enjoy the colors of the Northern Lights – captured in Labrador sky.